Posted by Aditya Abburi

Empirical observations from New York...

...on the basis of walking around midtown and downtown Manhattan.

At a reasonably brisk pace of walking, one sees
a. A Dunkin Donuts every 14 minutes
b. A McDonalds every 10 minutes
c. A Starbucks every 5 minutes
d. A Japanese tourist clicking photos of everything that moves (and most things that don't) every 2 minutes.

Other observations/musings:
a. Nothing seems to have changed since I was here 5 years ago. Except for the fact that every second person has an Apple product in his pocket, on his palm, or in his ear.
b. Manhattan is a very very easy place to be a tourist and/or explorer on foot. The fact that lower midtown and northwards is laid out in simple rectangular grids makes it idiot-proof, and hence ideal for me.
c. Italian food in New York is probably second only to Italian food in Italy(I am guessing!)
d. Times Square is simply waaaaay too loud and bright. The screens light up the damn place like it's daytime. Nice if you like that kind of burning-the-eyeballs intensity. I'm sure with this kind of energy consumption, Times Square alone must be a major contributor to global warming. Any thoughts, Mr Gore? On the other hand, I must admit the sheer vitality of the place is simply mindblowing. And very very seductive.
d. Blueberry Cake Donuts in NYC rock. Big time. And I will brook no argument whatsoever on this point. (anyone who dares suggest such a thing will have to deal with a fist that has grown 150% in 14 days from all the eating and being lazy! vacation it is!.)

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 5 at Tuesday, January 05, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 comments

Anonymous  

"Naive Cognition" obviously resulted from close observation and thereby made very good reading Aditya... it was like i walked around midtown and downtown Manhattn all the way with you ...
I am glad i dont have to share my opinion about 'Blue Berry Cake Donuts' in NY city...first reason is i have never been there and the second is...well, u know...:)

January 7, 2010 at 12:23 AM

@anon: Haha you should definitely visit NYC and make it a point to eat the blueberry cake donuts when you do!

Do I know you??

January 13, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Lol! Nice. I love the way you start the post.

I can't wait to get there :D


SG.

February 5, 2010 at 9:53 PM

How'd you know that the tourist was japanese?

February 22, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Hahaha let me say I generalized there.. I meant to say Asian!

February 22, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Me "Anon" is someone who carried you around when you were a kid...he he he...

February 25, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Post a Comment